Saturday 13 December 2008

"I'm a Technical Project Manager"


People sometimes ask, as people do after they see my evil Fiat Punto (which is actually poisonous!!) "Mate what do you do for a living then?"

There are a selection of things i reply with:

There are the, what i like to refer to as the 'well thought out answers:

- "I eat".
- "I sleep".
- "Through a special manafacturing process, I turn children into wine glasses".
- "I work at a wildlife sanctuary with colourful hungry hippos".
- "I'm Tony the Tiger's PA".

and then the other answers:
- "I'm a Technical Project Manager"
- "I look after IT projects"
- "I manage IT Projects".

The first set of responses never lead to anything else. The second set of responses often lead to a quizzical (if its not a fellow IT brethren) "oh right?". At which point i say:

"See me as the conductor in the orchestra, there are lots of instruments that need to be played, but not at the same time, they have to be played at the right time, so that everything sounds beautiful. If they are played at the wrong times, it doesn't sound that great, even terrible. If the saxophonist doesn't get to do his solo....well....that's just totally uncool. So my job is to bring everyone in, all instruments at the right time. Not instruments - But different pieces of technology which come together to solve a business problem.

What do you say? I'd love to hear if you have any good lines.

No comments: